Lots of new-music events in New York City this week and lots of Christmas concerts everywhere else…but there are some great concerts of contemporary classical music coming up very soon in other locations. Stay tuned!
- The Knells (led by composer/guitarist Andrew McKenna Lee) and itsnotyouitsme (guitarist Grey Mcmurray and composer/violinist Caleb Burhans) jointly celebrate their album releases with performances at SubCulture on Bleecker Street, December 10.
- Composer and musician (and our longtime follower!) Sarah Taylor Ellis and her songwriting partner Lane Williamson will be showcasing their work, which draws upon contemporary classical music and classic musical theater, and previewing songs from their upcoming musical The Yellow Wallpaper this Thursday, December 12, at 54 Below. Use code EW54BLOG to get 20% off the cover charge!
- NOW Ensemble make their Bargemusic debut with a program of music by Judd Greenstein and Sarah Kirkland Snider and premieres by Mark Dancigers, John Supko, and Nathan Williamson, December 13.
- Le Poisson Rouge hosts a special concert by Steve Reich with So Percussion, featuring Reich’s Clapping Music and Drumming, to benefit The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum, December 15.
- Composer and musician Ken Thomson (of Bang on a Can All-Stars and Asphalt Orchestra) celebrates the release of his album Thaw with a performance of the album by JACK Quartet at SubCulture, December 15.
- Party with New Amsterdam Presents on December 16 at their year-end benefit at Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway in Brooklyn), featuring performances by the Trevor Wilson and Vocal Ensemble, JACK Quartet, and Son Lux, and complimentary hors d’oeuvres and drink specials! $20 suggested minimum donation.